I did a thing. I made a top!
Started and finished: August 6, 2015
Fabric: Pinstripe Linen Slub purchased at JoAnn's, 1 yard
I saw this pattern on the Purl Bee when it was released a couple of weeks ago, and while it's not the typical top that I go for when thinking about what I like to wear, I was completely infatuated with how easy it seemed to construct. Four rectangles, and you gather the shoulders. Done! Not having a ton of experience with sewn garments (outside of some doll clothes I made when I was little), this seemed like a good starting point.
Being a completely novice sewer(?), the directions were really easy to follow, except for the description of how to sew the channels at the sleeves to lace the cording through. (This could also have been because I was doing this at midnight and slightly delirious.) But I got there! And after being SUPER skeptical when I first tried it on, I now really like this top. And maybe most importantly, I proved to myself that I can, in fact, sew in a straight line.
I'm now more motivated than ever to bust out my vintage sewing machine for simple projects like this. Like knitting, it is such a thrill to be able to take a huge piece of nothing and make it into something beautiful and useful, and at this stage in my life it's cool that I can make clothes that are going to fit me EXACTLY the way I want them to. It's really empowering. Huzzah!
I hope everyone has made it to the new website and is digging the new look! After blogging with my old platform for almost a year I knew it was time to make a change, there were a lot of things I wanted to update about the website and honestly the easiest scenario was just to change platforms completely. I'm still tweaking a bit but am excited for the future of the blog and hope you are too!